|Real World information|
- "You ever have one of those days when you look in the mirror, an' you realise you have a human ear stuck to your shirt?"
- – Butcher Joyce to Jackie. [src]
The Darkness Edit
Butcher's job is to enter the scene of a Mob hit and scrub the place clean, removing all traces of evidence. That usually involves hacking up corpses and flushing them, before bleaching the entire scene. Butcher has worked for the Franchetti Crime Family for over thirty years and in all that time he claims he has never taken sides. Butcher is one of the family and it appears that he has to choose between the old ways and the new. Butcher was also very old friends with Jackie's father.
Butcher was in The Darkness game. He, in addition to his usual role of cleaning up bodies after hits, helps Jackie many times throughout the story. For instance, he gives Jackie the location of "Uncle" Paulie Franchetti. He also arrived at Aunt Sarah's house after the shootout.
The Darkness II Edit
Butcher reappears in the sequel in Jackie's mansion, a few times. First time he's seen standing in the balcony with his friend Leo and discussing Jackie again using his powers. During the second visit to the mansion, Butcher is seen with Leo in the bar.
After Jackie escapes the Brimstone Club, Butcher and Leo picks him up and bring him to the mansion. Later, when the Brotherhood are driven out of the mansion, Butcher is seen trying to flush all the dead corpses in one of the bathrooms. He also expresses his condolence to Jackie regarding Aunt Sarah's death.
In the Institution, Butcher is one of the doctors in the facility and is seen at one point discussing the treatment plans of a patient with a representation of Victor Valente.
- In the comics series Butcher is a mob cleaner working for various criminal families. After the death of Frankie Franchetti and the rise of Paulie Franchetti, Butcher sided with Jackie and became his second-in-command and a good friend.
- Butcher is the only known Joyce in the game.
- Butcher has been in the Mob business for over thirty years.
- Butcher was a good friend of Jackie's father.
- Butcher is one of the few characters who can't be interacted with directly in the Asylum levels.
- Butcher Joyce has an official twitter account, where he details his working day https://twitter.com/ButcherJoyce.
- Butcher's mom used to work in a slaughterhouse and according to him, she was magic with a boning saw.
- Butcher got his nickname in junior high after he "butchered" a math test.